10 December 2011

Saturday Rock n Roll Oldies: THE ANIMALS
'Gonna Send You Back to Walker' (1964)


The Animals were a highly influential English rock/R-n-B group, formed in the early 60s in the north-east of England (Newcastle-upon-Tyne). They later in the decade relocated to the bustling London scene.

Renowned for their gritty, bluesy sound and deep-voiced frontman Eric Burdon, the band is best known for timeless classics such as "The House of the Rising Sun", "We Gotta Get Out of This Place", and "It's My Life". 

The Animals presented a unique blend of rock-oriented pop hits along with R-n-B material to fill out the albums.  Later -under the name Eric Burdon and the Animals- they moved to California and yet again achieved commercial success, this time as a psychedelic rock band.  Hits of this era include "San Franciscan Nights" and "Sky Pilot". Guitarist Andy Summers was with the band in this period, who later went on to found The Police along with Sting and drummer Stewart Copeland. 

The band broke up in 1969, with the cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" released subsequently... 




You had nothin' when I met you, baby
But look what you got now
Sometimes I wonder, did I make a mistake
When I brought you to the South

Gonna send you back to Walker
Girl, that's where you belong
Since you been got in the big city
Well, you been startin' treatin' me wrong

Your mama and your daddy done told me, baby
Not to bring you to the South
I brought you to the city
And the bright lights knocked you out

I'm gonna send you back to Walker
Girl, that's where you belong- I know it
Since you been got in the big city
Well, you been startin' treatin' me wrong