This according to the Book of Odds- below are more amusing stats, which might be better called 'frequencies', since as 'chances' they can't possibly apply to all people (not everybody uses vending machines, for instance):
- Odds of any child being born with at least one extra finger or toe? 1-in-500
- The odds of any American boy born in 1950 being named 'Robert' are just 21.8-to-1
- You're not paranoid if you're Honduran, they really are after you (and odds are pretty good they'll getcha, too): 1 of every 1100 citizens of that Central American country will be murdered there over the course of a year.
- And worldwide, 57% of murderers are never punished -not with any jailtime- meaning more likely to get away with it than not, although that number is as low as 20% in Europe (the other extreme would be ISIS caliphate, where they give you a medal).
- 1 in 2.2 billion: Odds of any New Yorker being fatally pushed in front of a subway train this year.
- There's a 1-in-3000 chance you'll be struck by lighting at least once in your life.
- Odds of winning Texas Lotto (min. payout $4M)? 25.5M-to-1
- The odds of meeting your life partner/spouse on a blind date? 34.5-to-1
- The chance you'll find a pearl in any single oyster you pop open is a longshot at 12,000-to-1
- It's a 270-to-1 chance any given NFL kickoff will be returned
all the way for a TD
- And any inhabitant of this planet is -on average- more likely to be killed by a donkey than to die in a plane crash... but hey, at least the donkey won't steal your clothes.