06 February 2010

Saturday Night Rock-n-Roll Oldies... Faces 1972


Faces -sometimes known as The Faces- were an English rock band formed in 1969 by members of the Small Faces, when Steve Marriott left that group to form Humble Pie.

The remaining Small Faces - Ronnie Lane (bass guitar), Ian McLagan (keyboards) and Kenney Jones (drums & percussion) - were joined by Ronnie Wood (guitar) and Rod Stewart (lead vocals), both from The Jeff Beck Group... and the new line-up was renamed Faces.
The Faces released four studio albums and toured regularly until the autumn of 1975, although Stewart simultaneously pursued a solo recording career, and during the band's final year Wood also toured with The Rolling Stones, whom he later went on to join.

The group regularly toured Britain, Europe and the United States from 1970 to 1975, and were among the top-grossing live acts in that period. Among their most successful songs were "Had Me a Real Good Time", their breakthrough UK hit "Stay with Me", "Cindy Incidentally" and "Pool Hall Richard".

As Rod Stewart's solo career became more successful than that of the group, the band became overshadowed by their lead singer. A disillusioned Ronnie Lane left the band in 1973- one reason given later for his departure was frustration over not having more opportunities to sing lead vocals.

In 1975 Wood began working with the Rolling Stones, which brought differences between Stewart and the others to a head, and in December the band announced that they were splitting. Drummer Kenny Jones came to replace Kieth Moon of The Who- and of course Stewart went-on to mega-superstardom as a solo artist-

Faces: Stay With Me- 1972

In the morning, don't say you love me
'cause I'll only kick you out of the door

I know your name is Rita
'cause your perfum smelling sweeter
since when I saw you down on the floor -guitar-

Won't need to much pursuading
I don't mean to sound degrading
but with a face like that
you got nothing to laugh about

Red lips, hair, and fingernails
I hear your a mean old jezabel
Lets go up stairs and read my tarot cards

Stay with me, stay with me
for tonight you better stay with me

So in the morning, please don't say you love me
'cause you know I'll only kick you out the door

Yeah, I'll pay your cab fare home
you can even use my best colonge
just don't be here in the morning when I wake up

Come on now
stay with me, stay with me
'cause tonight you're gonna stay with me
sit down, get up, get down

Stay with me, stay with me
'cause tonight you're gonna stay with me

Hey, whats your name again?
___________________________

Previous Rock-n-Roll Oldies Features:

Humble Pie- 1969
Rasberries- 1972
Nazareth- 1975
Status Quo- 1972