30 January 2010

Saturday Night Rock-n-Roll Oldies... Small Faces- 1967


Small Faces were an English rock and roll band from East London, heavily influenced by American rhythm and blues. The group was founded in 1965 by members Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones (later of The Who), and Jimmy Winston, although by 1966 Winston was replaced by Ian McLagan as the band's keyboardist.

The band is remembered as one of the most acclaimed and influential mod groups of the 1960s, with such classic hit songs such as "Itchycoo Park", "Lazy Sunday", "All or Nothing", "Tin Soldier", and their concept album Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake, they later evolved into one of the UK's most successful psychedelic acts before disbanding in 1969.

They are also acknowledged as a major influence on the Britpop movement of the 1990s- Despite the fact they were together just four years in their original incarnation, the Small Faces' music output from the mid to late sixties remains among the most acclaimed British mod and psychedelic music of that era.

The break-up occurred when Marriott attempted to bring a young Peter Frampton on-board and instigate other changes... resistance to these ideas created tention in the band. Marriott later stormed off stage in the middle of a New Year's Eve gig and soon formed Humble Pie with Frampton and others, while the remaining Small Faces went on to become simply "Faces" with the addition of Rod Stewart and Ronny Wood.

Lazy Sunday was originally written by Marriott as a spoof, but impressed their record label, who insisted on releasing it. And it's modeled on the style of Cockney drinking songs... great fun:


Small Faces: Lazy Sunday-1967

A wouldn't it be nice to get on with me neighbours?
But they make it very clear
They've got no room for ravers
They stop me from groovin', they bang on me wall
They doing me crust in, it's no good at all - ah

Lazy Sunday afternoon
I've got no mind to worry
I close my eyes and drift away-a

Here we all are sittin' in a rainbow
Gor blimey hello Mrs. Jones
How's old Bert's lumbago? He mustn't grumble
Tweedle dee bite
I'll sing you a song with no words and no tune
Tweedle dee bite
To sing in your party while you souse at the moon - oh yeah

Lazy Sunday afternoon-a - tweedle dee bite - tweedle dee bite - tweedle dee bite
I've got no mind to worry - yeah - I've got no mind to worry
Close my eyes and drift away-a

Root-de-doo-de-doo, a-root-de-doot-de doy di
A-root-de doot de dum, a-ree-de-dee-de-doo dee - doo doo ....
There's no one to hear me, there's nothing to say
And no one can stop me from feeling this way - yeah

Lazy Sunday afternoon
I've got no mind to worry
Close my eyes and drift away

Lazy Sunday afternoon
I've got no mind to worry
Close my eyes and drift a-
Close my mind and drift away
Close my eyes and drift away
________________________
Wikipedia

Previous Rock-n-Roll Oldies Features:
The Creation- 1967
Humble Pie- 1969
Rasberries- 1972
Nazareth- 1975
Status Quo- 1972



Small Faces, Lazy Sunday, Rock-n-Roll oldies, Steve Marriott,
Small Faces, Lazy Sunday, Rock-n-Roll oldies, Steve Marriott,
Small Faces, Lazy Sunday, Rock-n-Roll oldies,